Sunday 16 November 2008

Best Obama Front Page Award



I've been looking back over the newspapers I purchased on November 5th- the day after Barack Obama was elected the 44th President of the USA- and have decided my award for 'Best Obama Front Page' goes to the Evening Herald. My criteria was pretty simple - I favoured the newspaper that had the most 'frameable' front page. That translated into a great graphic with a simple headline. Amongst the papers I purchased were Evening Herald, Irish Times, Irish Independent and The Guardian. On Nov 4th there was much fuss in the media about buying that famous front page and keeping it in a safe place.... I was definitely a little disappointed with some front pages on what was an inherently historic day.

Some of the other more traditional broadsheets ran with terribly informative headlines. But that's not really what it was about on Nov 5th. On the morning after an African American (just as much Caucasian really but that's another day's work) is elected to US President, do we really want to see a headline about the mammoth task that lies ahead for him? NO! Personally I was yelling loudly (in my head of course) and emphatically at the stacks of a certain newspaper that ran a cumbersome headline on just that. Not today people, maybe tomorrow!!! November 5th should have been about savouring history in the making, not policy chatter!

The Herald won hands down in my estimation with their entire front page dedicated to Obama's win. A full page image of Obama with the simple words Mr President across the front to match. A great addition to the spread was a well chosen extract from Obama's memorable speech that read 'it's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this date in this election at this defining moment, change has come to America'.

Well done to the folks at the Herald! (And to the greatness that is Barack Obama too). Round two takes place on January 21st so get your game on eds!

2 comments:

Lorc said...

I liked the Herald's one quite a bit too.

You have no subscribe to button on yo' page! :?

Fiona said...

You can follow now!