Thursday 13 November 2008

Rip Off Ireland


It's definitely alive and well. Despite the media and the public kicking up a fuss about price differentials between Euro and Sterling prices, most notably seen between Dublin and Newry stores, ripoff Ireland roars on. A few weeks ago I purchased a bag in a high street chain which cost me €51. That night I discovered the Sterling price online was just £30. Seems a bit off doesn't it? It's well off! At the time of writing £30 is equal to just €35. So where is the other €16 going? A little bit for the increased labour costs we hear so much about. But that's still a huge price difference. So anyway in defiance of rip off Ireland, I purchased the same bag for £30 in England last week and returned the old one in town tonight. When asked was there anything wrong with the bag or did it just not suit, I simply replied; 'well when I saw it was £30 online I wasn't very impressed' so I'm returning this. To which the assistant replied 'sure that always happens doesn't it' ...... not in my wallet!

So lesson is shop around and convert those prices!

No comments: